Professor Pei-Yuan Qian
- PERSONAL DATA
Business address Division of Life Sciences
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST),Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong
Tel: (852)-2358-7331, Fax: (852)2358-1559;
- UNIVERSITY EDUCATION
1992 Postdoc. University of British Columbia, Canada 1991 Ph.D. University of Alberta, Canada 1985 M.Sc. University of Xiamen, China 1982 B.Sc. Ocean University of Qingdao, China
- KEY APPOINTMENTS
- David von Hansemann Professor of Science
- Chair Professor, Division of Life Sciences, HKUST
- Chair, Steering committee for Ocean initiatives (2017-)
- Chair, Recruitment Committee for Ocean initiatives (2017-)
- Member of University Council (2011-2014)
- Member of University Court (2013 – 2016)
- Senate member, HKUST (2011-2014)
- Director, Environmental Science Programs, HKUST (2012-2017)
- Chairman, Executive Committee for Environmental Science Programs, HKUST (2012-2017)
- Associate Head, Division of Life Science (2011-2012)
- Executive Committee Member, Division of Life Science (2011-2015)
- EDITORAL SERVICES
- Chief Editor, Frontier in Marine Molecular Biology and Ecology (2013 – )
- Contributing Editor, Marine Ecology Progress Series (since 2005- )
- Editor, Scientific Report
- Editor, Biofouling
- Editor, Marine Drug
- Editor, Marine Toxins
- Editor, PeerJ
- Member of Editorial Board, Environmental Microbiology
- Member of Editorial Board, J. Marine Science and Engineering
- Member of Editorial Board, Endangered Species Research (International journal)
- Member of Editorial Board, Tropical Oceans (1999-)
- Member of Editorial Board, J. Chin. Liminol. Oceanol. (Chinese edition) (2001-)
- Member of Editorial Board, J. Chin. Liminol. Oceanol. (English edition) (1997-)
- Member of Editorial Board, Acta Oceanologia Sinica, (English editition) (2012-)
- Member of Editorial Board, Acta Oceanologia Sinica, (Chinese editition) (2012-)
- Key AWARDS & HONORS
2017 Named Professor: David von Hansemann Professor of Science Service Award, School of Science, HKUST 2016 National Nature Science Award (2nd class award) 2011 Distinguished Lecturer, AOGS annual meeting 2011 2009 First Class Prize of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province, 2008 (Diversity and production of marine organisms in South China Sea) – (the 2nd Author) 2003 Long-term service Award, HKUST 2002 School of Science Teaching Award
Nominated for Senior Croucher Research Fellowship by HKUST
2001 Teaching Innovation Award, HKUST 2000 APRU Fellowship 1994- National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) Research and Lecture Award for Outstanding Overseas Chinese Scholars, 1993-1994 1992-1993 Killam Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of British Columbia, Canada
Research associate awards, Bamfield Marine Station, Canada
1991 Killam Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of British Columbia, Canada
First Class Prize in Science and Technology Progress, SOA, China – (the 2nd Author)
1990 Andrew Steward Graduate Prize (for excellence in Ph.D. research, University of Alberta)
Dissertation Fellowship, University of Alberta
First Class Prize in Science and Technology Progress,, the First Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, China – (the 2nd Author)
- Best paper awards at International Conference received by my graduate students:
- Chen ZF, Zhang HM, Matsumura K, Qian PY. Quantitative proteomics study on larval settlement and metamorphosis of the barnacle Balanus amphitrite. The 10th Larval Biology Meeting, July 28-August 3, 2012, Berkley, California, USA. – Best Paper Award.
- Zhang YF, PY Qian, Pharmacologgy study of butennolide as an antifouling compounds. The 15th International Conference of Marine Biotechnology, Oct. 9-13, 2010. Qingdao, China. – Best Paper Award.
- Wang H, Zhang Y, Wong YH, Voolstra C, Ravasi T, Bajic V, Qian, PY. Using next generation sequencing technology to study the metamorphosis of marine invertebrates. The 9th Larval Biology Conference, August 23-28, 2010, Wellington, New Zealand. – Best Paper Award.
- Hung OS, Thiyagarajan V, Wu RSS & Qian PY. Metamorphic response of barnacle larvae to biofilms originated from contrasting environments in Hong Kong: results of a laboratory and field experiments. Benthic Ecology Meeting, March 8-12, 2006, Quebec City, Canada. – Best Paper Award.
- Hung OS, Thiyagarajan V, Wu RSS & Qian PY. Do effects of ultraviolet radiation on biofilms have indirect effects on larval attachment of the barnacle Balanus amphitrite. The 13th International Crustacean Conference, July 15-21, 2005, Glassgo, UK. – Best Paper Award.
- Huang Yl & Qian PY. Bacterial Mmetabolites as larval settlement inducers of the polychaete Hydroides elegans. The 6th International Larval Biology Conference, June 21-25, 2004, Hong Kong. – Best Paper Award.
- PG student advisory committee served: >70
- PG student Examination committee served: many
- PROCEEDINGS OR MONOGRAPH PUBLISHED OR IN PREPARATION
- Reish, D. & P. Y. Qian (ed.), 1997. The Preceedings of the Fifth International Polychaete Conference, July 2-7, Qingdao, China, 1995, Bull. Mar. Sci. Vol. 60(2): 217-628.
- Qian, P. Y. & F. S. Chia, Key to planktonic polychaete larvae in Barkley Sound, British Columbia.
- Qian, P. Y., 1995. Program and Abstract of the Fifth International Polychaete Conference, July 2-7, Qingdao, China, pp. 152.
- BOOK TRANSLATED (FROM CHINESE INTO ENGLISH)
- Nereidae (Polychaeteous annelids) of the Chinese Coast. China Ocean Press and Springer-Verlag. 1985, pp.234.
- REFEREED (SCI) PUBLICATIONS (* = corresponding author):
- INVITED PLENERY OR KEYNOTE TALKS IN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
- CONFERENCE ABSTRACTS
- RESEARCH REPORT
- PERSONAL DATA