Professor Pei-Yuan Qian
- PERSONAL DATA
Business address Department of Ocean Science
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST),Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong
Tel: (852)-2358-7331, Fax: (852)2358-1559;
- UNIVERSITY EDUCATION
1992 Postdoc. University of British Columbia, Canada 1991 Ph.D. University of Alberta, Canada 1985 M.Sc. University of Xiamen, China 1982 B.Sc. Ocean University of Qingdao, China
- KEY APPOINTMENTS
- Head and Chair Professor of Department of Ocean Science , HKUST
- David von Hansemann Professor of Science
- Chair Professor, Division of Life Sciences, HKUST
- Chair, Steering committee for Ocean initiatives (2017-)
- Chair, Recruitment Committee for Ocean initiatives (2017-)
- Member of University Council (2011-2014)
- Member of University Court (2013 – 2016)
- Senate member, HKUST (2011-2014)
- Director, Environmental Science Programs, HKUST (2012-2017)
- Chairman, Executive Committee for Environmental Science Programs, HKUST (2012-2017)
- Associate Head, Division of Life Science (2011-2012)
- Executive Committee Member, Division of Life Science (2011-2015)
- EDITORAL SERVICES
- Chief Editor, Frontier in Marine Molecular Biology and Ecology (2013 – )
- Contributing Editor, Marine Ecology Progress Series (since 2005- )
- Editor, Scientific Report
- Editor, Biofouling
- Editor, Marine Drug
- Editor, Marine Toxins
- Editor, PeerJ
- Member of Editorial Board, Environmental Microbiology
- Member of Editorial Board, J. Marine Science and Engineering
- Member of Editorial Board, Endangered Species Research (International journal)
- Member of Editorial Board, Tropical Oceans (1999-)
- Member of Editorial Board, J. Chin. Liminol. Oceanol. (Chinese edition) (2001-)
- Member of Editorial Board, J. Chin. Liminol. Oceanol. (English edition) (1997-)
- Member of Editorial Board, Acta Oceanologia Sinica, (English editition) (2012-)
- Member of Editorial Board, Acta Oceanologia Sinica, (Chinese editition) (2012-)
- Key AWARDS & HONORS
2017 Named Professor: David von Hansemann Professor of Science Service Award, School of Science, HKUST 2016 National Nature Science Award (2nd class award) 2011 Distinguished Lecturer, AOGS annual meeting 2011 2009 First Class Prize of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province, 2008 (Diversity and production of marine organisms in South China Sea) – (the 2nd Author) 2003 Long-term service Award, HKUST 2002 School of Science Teaching Award
Nominated for Senior Croucher Research Fellowship by HKUST
2001 Teaching Innovation Award, HKUST 2000 APRU Fellowship 1994- National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) Research and Lecture Award for Outstanding Overseas Chinese Scholars, 1993-1994 1992-1993 Killam Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of British Columbia, Canada
Research associate awards, Bamfield Marine Station, Canada
1991 Killam Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of British Columbia, Canada
First Class Prize in Science and Technology Progress, SOA, China – (the 2nd Author)
1990 Andrew Steward Graduate Prize (for excellence in Ph.D. research, University of Alberta)
Dissertation Fellowship, University of Alberta
First Class Prize in Science and Technology Progress,, the First Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, China – (the 2nd Author)
- Representative Publications (* corresponding author):
- Yang Y, Sun J, Sun YN, Kwan YH, Wong WC, Zhang YJ, Xu T, Feng D, Zhang Y, Qiu JW, Qian PY*. 2020. Genomic, transcriptomic and proteomic insights into the symbiosis of deep-sea tubeworm holobionts. ISME J 14: 135-150. doi.org/10.1038/s41396-019-0520-y
- Nong WY, Cao JQ, Li YQ, Qu Z, Sun J, Swale T, Yip HY, Qian PY, Qiu JW, Kwan HS, Bendena W, Tobe S, Chan TF, Yip KYL, Chu KH, Ngai SM, Tsim KYK, Holland PWH, Hui JHL. Jellyfish genomes reveal distinct homeobox gene clusters and conservation of small RNA processing. Nature Communication 11：3051 doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-16801-9
- Sun J, Chen C, Miyamoto N, Li RS, Sigwart JD, Xu T, Sun YN, Wong WC, Ip JCH, Zhang WP, Lan Y, Bissessur D, Watsuji T, Watanabe HK, Takaki Y, Qiu JW, Takai K*, Qian PY*. The Scaly-foot Snail genome and the ancient origins of biomineralised armour. Nature Communication 11: 1657. doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-15522-3.
- Li ZR, Li J, Cai WL, Lai JYH, Zhang WP, McKinnie SMK, Moore BS, Zhang WJ*, Qian PY*. Colibactin induces DNA double-strand breaks through copper-dependent oxidative cleavage. Nature Chemistry 11(10)
- Zhang WP, Ding W, Li YX, Tam CK, Bougouffa S, Wang RJ, Pei B, Chiang HY, Leung PM , Lu YH, Sun J, Fu H, Bajic VB, Liu HB, Webster NS, Qian PY*, 2019. Biofilms constitute a bank of hidden microbial diversity and functional potential in the oceans, Nature Communication 10: 517 | https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-08463
- Sun J, Mu HW, Ip JCH, Li RS, Zhang YJ, Xu T, Kumagai N, Yusa Y, Accorsi A, Castro-Vasquez A, Vega IA, Heras H, Ituarte S, Bocxlaer BV, Hayes K, Cowie R, Zhao ZY, Zhang Y*, Qian PY*, Qiu JW*. Signatures of divergence, invasiveness, and terrestrialization revealed by four apple snail genomes. Mol Biol Evol 36: 1507-1520. Doi:10.1093/molbev/msz084.
- Li YX, Zhong Z, Zhang WP, Qian PY*. 2018. Discovery of cationic nonribosomal peptides as gram-negative antibiotics through global genome mining. Nat Communi 9: 3273, 1038/s41467-018-05781-6.
- Li YX, Zhong Z, Hou P, Zhang WP, Qian PY*. A widespread D-stereospecific resistance of nonribosomal peptide antibiotics. Nat Chem Biol 14: 381-388, doi.org/10.1038/s41589-018-0009-4
- Zhang WP, Tian RM, Sun J, Bougouffa S, Ding W, Cai L, Lan Y, Tong HY, Li YX, Jamieson AJ, Bajic VB, Drazen JC, Bartlett D, Qian PY*. 2018. Genome reduction in Psychromonas species within the gut of an amphipod from the Ocean’s deepest point. mSystems 3: e00009-18, DOI: 10.1128/mSystems.00009-
- Sun J, Zhang Y, Xu T, Zhang Y, Mu HW, Zhang YJ, Lan Y, Fields CJ, Hui JHL, Zhang WP, Li RS, Nong WY, Cheung FKM, Qiu JW*, Qian P-Y*. 2017. Adaptation to deep-sea chemosynthetic environments as revealed by mussel genomes. Nat Ecol Evol 1: 0121 .
- Lin JS, Zhang WP, Cheng JL, Yang X, Zhu KX, Wang Y, Wei GH, Qian PY, Luo ZQ. 2017. A Pseudomonas T6SS effector recruits PQS-containing outer membrane vesicles for iron acquisition. Nat Comms. 8:
- Li ZR, Li J, Gu JP, Lai JY, Duggan BM, Zhang W, Li ZL, Li YX, Tong RB, Xu Y, Lin DH, Moore B, Qian PY*. (2016) Divergent biosynthesis yields a cytotoxic aminomalonate-containing precolibactin. Nat Chemical Biology 12, 773–778.
- Zhang WP, Sun J, Cao HL, Tian RM, Cai L, Ding W, Qian P-Y*. 2016. Post-translational modifications are enriched within protein functional groups important to bacterial adaptation within a deep-sea hydrothermal vent environment. Microbiome 4: 49. DOI: 1186/s40168-016-0194-x
- Ross AC, Xu Y (co-first author), Lu L, Kersten RD, Shao ZZ, Al-Suwailem AM, Dorrestein PC, Qian PY*, Moore BS*. 2013. Biosynthetic multitasking facilitates thalassospiromide structural diversity in marine bacteria. JACS 135: 1155−
- Xu Y, Kersten RD, Nam SJ, Lu L, Al-Suwailem AM, Zheng HJ, Fenical W, Dorrestein PC, Moore BS, Qian PY*. Bacterial biosynthesis and maturation of the didemnin anticancer agents. JACS 134: 8625-8632.
- Wang Y, Yang JK, Lee OO, Dash S, Lau SCK, Al-Suwailem A, Wong TYH, Danchin A, Qian PY*, 2011. Hydrothermally generated aromatic compounds are consumed by bacteria colonizing in Atlantis II Deep of the Red Sea. ISME J 5: 1652-1659. DOI: 1038/ismej.2011.42
- Lee OO, Wang Y, Yang JK, Lafi F, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY*. Pyrosequencing reveals highly diverse and species-specific microbial communities in sponges from the Red Sea. ISEM J 5: 650-664.
- Qian PY*, Wang Y, Lee OO, Lau SCK, Yang JK, Lafi FF, Al-Suwailem A, Wong T. Vertical stratification of microbial communities in the Red Sea revealed by pyrosequencing. ISEM J 5: 507-518.
- Chung HC, Lee OO, Huang YL, Mok FY, Kolter R, Qian PY*. Bacterial community succession and chemical profile of subtidal biofilms in relation to larval settlement of the polychaete Hydroides elegans. ISME J 4: 817-828.
- Huang YL, Ki JS, Lee OO, Qian PY*. Evidence for the dynamics of acyl homoserine lactone based quorum sensing during early subtidal biofilm formation. ISME J 3: 296-304 (Nature group).
- PG student advisory committee served: >70
- PG student Examination committee served: many
- PROCEEDINGS OR MONOGRAPH PUBLISHED OR IN PREPARATION
- Reish, D. & P. Y. Qian (ed.), 1997. The Preceedings of the Fifth International Polychaete Conference, July 2-7, Qingdao, China, 1995, Bull. Mar. Sci. Vol. 60(2): 217-628.
- Qian, P. Y. & F. S. Chia, Key to planktonic polychaete larvae in Barkley Sound, British Columbia.
- Qian, P. Y., 1995. Program and Abstract of the Fifth International Polychaete Conference, July 2-7, Qingdao, China, pp. 152.
- BOOK TRANSLATED (FROM CHINESE INTO ENGLISH)
- Nereidae (Polychaeteous annelids) of the Chinese Coast. China Ocean Press and Springer-Verlag. 1985, pp.234.
- REFEREED (SCI) PUBLICATIONS (* = corresponding author):
- INVITED PLENERY OR KEYNOTE TALKS IN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
- CONFERENCE ABSTRACTS
- RESEARCH REPORT
- PERSONAL DATA